GYN: History taking
Time since marriage:
- Amenorrhea: secondary amenorrhea is when the patient hasn’t had her periods for more than 6 months.
- Menorrhagia: Heavy menstrual flow but normal duration.
- Dysmenorrhea: painful periods.
- Oligomenorrhea: cycle is prolonged (more than 35 days)
- Polymenorrhea: the cycle is less than 21 days and so the patient has periods more than once in one month.
Normal Menstrual Cycle is approx: 21-35 days long
Normal amount of blood loss: 5-80 ml
Length of periods: 1-8 days
- associated symptoms
- aggravating and relieving factors
- Age at menarche
- Intermenstrual bleeding?
- Post-coital bleeding?
- Contraceptive use?
- Has she ever had a PAP Smear taken?
- Ask about each pregnany: Duration of pregnancy? Complications? Outcome?
- Ask about each delivery: Mode of delivery? Place of delivery? Complications at the time of delivery?
- Ask about each baby: Birth weight of baby? Was the baby breast fed?
- Past medical: HTN, Diabetes, TB, Seizures, Asthma etc..
- Past Surgical
- Blood Transfusions
- Is her vaccination up-to-date?
- Recent weight gain/weight loss
- History of any addictions (such as smoking, naswaar, hooka etc..)
- History of any allergies to foods or medicines?
- Is the marriage consanguineous?
- History of breast cancer, ovarion cancer, uterine cancer etc..
- History of HTN, Diabetes etc..
- # of family members
- # of earning members
- Approximate income?
- Use of boiled water at home?