- Graphical record of fetal heart sounds, uterine contractions and fetal movements.
The CTG Machine:
- Has 1 screen and 3 probes
- Cardio probe: to detect fetal heart sounds.
- Toco Probe: detects strength and frequency of uterine contractions
- Fetal movement probe: The mother is asked to press a button each time she feels her baby move.
Fetal heart rate (FHR):
- FHR < style="">Bradycardia
- FHR > 160 beats/min is Fetal Tachycardia
Acceleration: An increase in FHR of at least 15 beats/min lasting for at least 15 seconds
Deceleration: A decreased in FHR of at least 15 beats/min lasting for at least 15 seconds. There are three types of deceleration, Types I, II and III.
Toco: Uterine Contractions:
- Range: 0 to 100 mm H2O
- 20 to 40 mm H2O- Mild contractions
- 40 to 60 mm H2O- Moderate contractions
- 60-100 mm H2N- Severe contractions
Note: Uterine contractions are recorded at # of contractions/10 minutes.
The time between two dark red lines on the CTG paper is taken as 10 minutes.
Indications for CTG:
- Done at the time of admission
- Done again at the time of induction of labor